Okay, this was just so cool I had to share. This is my partner’s recipe:
1. Take two pieces of gluten-free bread (I recommend the Udi or Rudi brands because they actually toast properly and they don’t fall apart into crap immediately upon drying out or getting wet!) Pop them into the toaster and toast to desired darkness.
2. Butter one side of each piece of gf bread with kosher or vegan margarine (since both are lactose free).
3. Cut pieces of veggie or soy cheddar-flavoured “cheese” (Safeway has a good lactose free veggie cheese brand, and Okanagan Soya makes an awesome product) to fit the bread. Place them between the sides that are NOT buttered. Press together on a microwave-safe plate.
4. Heat in microwave until “cheese” melts to desired texture (Okanagan Soya took 45 seconds to become natcho-cheese gooey, and normally it doesn’t melt as well as regular cheese).
5. Enjoy! Result tastes just like pan-fried grilled cheese sandwiches, only the soy cheese is properly melted!
You’re welcome . . . 🙂